Artwave 2011 Exhibition: Jonny Hannah, Peter Chasseaud & John Christopher
The Press’s latest exhibition last for the duration of Lewes Artwave 2011. Here are some pictures from the opening evening:
‘PAGES’, an exhibition of book pages from the 15th century to contemporary Artists Books, ran at the Gallery from April 27th until May 29th, 2010.
The PAGES exhibition features lots of interesting pages from books from the 15th century to contemporary Artists Books:
- A facsimile page from the Gutenburg 1455 Bible, signed by Stephen Fry and made for his TV program about the Gutenburg press made by Alan May. Alan also made our Common Press
- A page from the Nuremburg Chronicle (genuine)
- Pages from various productions by the St Dominic’s Press, at Ditchling
- Surrealist pages from Une Semaine de Bonte by Max Ernst, which was sponsored by Roland Penrose who lived in Chiddingly, near Lewes
- Various title pages from the 16th to the 19th century
And examples from contemporary Artists Books, including some Trant/Chasseaud golden oldies. Some are typographical examples, some have images. Any of them could be a talking point framed on the wall.
We can assure everyone no books were harmed in the making of this event!
The exhibition runs from April 27th until May 29th, closed Sundays and Mondays; at the same time we will have our usual changing selection of books, prints, cards, posters, magazines and printed ephemera.
PREVIOUSLY at PRESS
‘An Illuminating Exhibition of New Work from the Legendary Jonny Hannah‘ ran at the Gallery for the month of February 2010.